Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Is There Room for Pro-Lifers In the Libertarian Party?

There are many factions within the LP. I would agree with some within the Radical Caucus and I would agree with some within the Libertarian Reform Caucus. I have friends with both and I agree with both on various issues. Was the complete overhaul of the platform needed? No. Did we need to modernize the platform with 21st century language. Yes. There is some planks that need to returned to the platform. Our anti-war, non-interventionist plank needs to be returned. This is very important in separating us from the Republican and Democrat warmongers.

With that said, there is a plank that needs to be removed and not replaced and that is our abortion plank. As a pro-life libertarian it pains me to see that I am not truly accepted by my peers because of a few issues. When I came to the LP I was a former DEMOCRAT and my views on certain issues have changed over the last 15 years. I feel that life begins at conception and that the fetus, a human being, should have the same Constitutional rights as you and I. Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness- remember those words? However a pro-life libertarian is very different from a pro-lifer of any other political party. We tend to lean towards educating the masses about alternatives to abortion. Yes, I would like to see fewer abortions performed. Yes, I would like to eliminate taxpayer funding for abortions. Yes, I would like to see Roe v Wade reversed and abortion should be a 10th Amendment issue. Yes, adoption laws should be more liberalized and accessible. Yes, embryonic stem cell research should not be funded by the taxpayers.

Unfortunately, there are those within the LP that call us pro-life libertarians Ovarian Marxists and anti-choice libertarians. My two main goals in Denver, next year, will be choosing the right presidential candidate to represent the party I have worked so hard to promote and eliminating the abortion plank. Maybe, just maybe, us pro-life libertarians will get the respect we deserve and work with others in moving this country towards a much freer nation that it is today!

5 Comments:

Blogger Todd Andrew Barnett said...

Chris,

I most wholeheartedly agree with you that the abortion plank is a serious problem. Honestly, the LP shouldn't even touch that plank, simply because the rift between pro-choice Libertarians and pro-life Libertarians is so wide that the likelihood of a uniform consensus between two groups is nil. In fact, I'm inclined to believe it's terribly even more nil than I could imagine.

Having said that, I think the issue of abortion is, in a political sense, a moot one, considering this isn't a legitimate concern for the American electorate at this time. The way I see it, it's because they're more worried about the economy, the ever-widening deficit spending, the growing size of Leviathan, and the never-ending war, which continues to threaten human liberty abroad and at home.

Until all factions of the libertarian movement converge and work together to educate the American people about the monstrous big government, nothing will change. Many are, if not will be, already alarmed by the ineptitude of the Party, and my concern is that it's going to worsen with passing second, minute, hour, and day. Some others are content with the internal party's status quo. Others have just either headed for the hills or simply don't care. Either way, we've got our work cut out for us.

As Libertarians, unless we can somehow convince over 95 percent of the American populace that we're the salvation of our country and the answer to their prayers, nothing we say or do will change the hearts and minds of the people who think that the welfare-warfare state mustn't be eliminated and safety must take precedence over liberty.


Your old Libertarian friend,


Todd Andrew Barnett
Host of Liberty Cap Talk Live
Columnist, Liberty For All Online Magazine
Columnist, Associated Content
www.ac.com

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:01:00 AM  
Blogger Jason Seagraves said...

Hey! I'm the one who invented that term "Ovarian Marxist" -- send me a nickel or I'll sue you for copyright infringement!

G.E. Smith aka globalist_elitist aka undercover_anarchist

Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher Bennett said...

G.E.

The check is in the mail...it'll arrive NEVER!

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

Chris - I'm with you here! I think you are very right (and I was not aware of the plank).

Sunday, July 01, 2007 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger Nick Manley said...

Chris,

As someone on the opposite side of this issue, I have to ask whether or not you support the legality of abortions. Wouldn't a LP plank mentioning just that be ok with you? I am genuinely curious.

Rothbard didn't entirely dismiss the Catholic case against it, but he did favor its legality. You and I had a very friendly productive in person meeting. I want to continue dialogue on good footing with you.

Friday, July 03, 2009 1:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home