Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Keratoconus

Bad news but maybe it will make me stronger. Over the years I have developed a rare eye disease called Keratoconus. My mother has it therefore I got it from her. There are options which I am having a hard time trying to decide what path to take. I'm glad that I am going to college now before my sight goes bad. I am happy for one thing: my wonderful beautiful wife. She is very understanding and will love me even if I go blind. I just hope they have a cure before that happens.


a non-inflammatory eye condition in which the normally round dome-shaped cornea progressively thins causing a cone-like bulge to develop. This results in significant visual impairment. The cornea is the clear window of the eye and is responsible for refracting most of the light coming into the eye. Therefore, abnormalities of the cornea severely affect the way we see the world making simple tasks, like driving, watching TV or reading a book difficult.

In its earliest stages, keratoconus causes slight blurring and distortion of vision and increased sensitivity to glare and light. These symptoms usually first appear in the late teens and early twenties. Keratoconus may progress for 10-20 years and then slow in its progression. Each eye may be affected differently.

Eyeglasses or soft contact lenses may be used to correct the mild nearsightedness and astigmatism that is caused in the early stages of keratoconus. As the disorder progresses and the cornea continues to thin and change shape, rigid gas permeable contact lenses can be prescribed to correct vision more adequately. The contact lenses must be carefully fitted, and frequent checkups and lens changes may be needed to achieve and maintain good vision.

In severe cases, a corneal transplant may be needed due to scarring, extreme thinning or contact lens intolerance. This is a surgical procedure that replaces the keratoconus cornea with healthy donor tissue.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a tough one, Chris... I really wish you all the best.

You've got a great attitude though, that's definitely the best way to approach life.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son,
Check out www.humanware.com and also do some research on synthetic corneas....research is being done in Europe especiall the French Research Institutes. There is always hope...so contine on with life as if YOUR very LIFE depends on it. YOU will go very far in your career choices. But then there was never any doubt in my mind. After almost 25 yrs after diagnosis, it hasn't been easy, but the technology is progressing for finding many solutions and medical techniques to correct visual abnormalities. Press on Life awaits. 'I may be changed, by what happens to me, but I will not be reduced by it'...a quote from Maya Angelou...it is my Mantra on a daily basis!

Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have Keratoconus, Have a look at this site. Please add it to your links section.

http://www.kcglobal.org

All the best

Shelby

Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home